Out of State DUI’s and Tickets Attorney

Out-of-state drivers arrested for DUI in the Los Angeles area should call the Los Angeles DUI lawyer immediately.

The state of California is a member of the Non-Resident Violator Compact, an agreement between certain states to report DUI offenses and license suspensions to the offender’s resident state. If your state of residence is a member of this agreement, you will have to deal with the consequences of a DUI arrest both here in California and at home.

Being arrested for DUI with an out-of-state license will produce the same two processes that would result in your home state---a court proceeding and a DMV proceeding.

In most cases, your “California driving privileges” will be suspended effective as soon as you are arrested. If you reside in this state, you should request a hearing with the Los Angeles DMV within 10 calendar days of your arrest. If you are merely an out-of-state driver visiting the state, then contact your local DMV to see how your state handles such matters.

In either case, the Los Angeles DUI lawyer can help you petition the Los Angeles DMV to reinstate your license as well as represent you in the Los Angeles courts.

Non-state offenders should be aware that California is also a member of the Driver’s License Compact, an agreement between states to monitor driver infractions together. Not every state is a member of this compact, but if your state is, you could face consequences for tickets, DUI, and other driving infractions both here in California and in your home state. Among the states in this agreement, there is only one driver’s license record. If you get a DUI conviction in California, that DUI will follow you into any of the states that are members of this agreement.

Appointing an experienced Los Angeles DUI attorney can help minimize the amount of punishment you receive in California and your native state of residence. Contact us for your immediate consultation today.